Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wellness Fair

One of my classes this semester is a senior experience type class where we have to work in groups for the semester to plan and implement a health education program. These programs take the form of booths at the Wellness Fair. This semester, the fair was on April 20th. My group is made of three people: Ra'Niesha, Marnique, and myself. Our topic is stress management. The night before the fair, we met to prepare for the next day by organizing our supplies, making posters, cutting raffle tickets, and folding brochures. It was a fun part of the project and we got to drink some delicious sweet wild orange tea, but it took a long time. Here's Ra'Niesha working on our "Wall of Relief". I didn't know this picture was being taken, that's just how I felt. Marnique working on our game board that talked about the signs and symptoms of stress. We finally finished our stuff by about 10:40pm. I spent the night at Ashley's house so I wouldn't have to drive back home to come back the next morning. It was fun to see her again. We talked for a little, then got up the next morning and made breakfast. Ashley made smoothies and eggs and I was glad she had fed me a good breakfast because I didn't get a chance to eat again until after the fair was over. It was pouring when we had to unload all our stuff and bring it into the dining hall where the fair was. Everyone got soaked. We had a great spot in the back with a view out the window, it was quieter and fit in with the calming atmosphere we were attempting to create with our booth. A zen garden for ambiance. Our posters curled from the rain and we had trouble getting them to stay on the wall. Here's our booth set up. And from the other side. I was on this end, handing out brochures and asking people to fill out an evaluation form. The fair ran from 11:00am to 2:00pm and we were steady pretty much the whole time. Everything went well, but we were glad when it was finally over.
"What's Your Limit?" was the title of our booth. Now we are working on finishing the paper we have been writing in sections throughout the semester. For the sections we have left, we have to process the fair, evaluate our results, and discuss what we learned. So far the paper is 61 pages and 13,991 words, and counting.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You were stressed working on your stress management booth!