There is a large cherry tree in front of our house and it produced tons of cherries this year. I have been looking forward to this harvest since we moved in last year and thought it was over much too quickly. Last weekend, I picked, pitted, and processed a number of them. Otherwise, we have mostly been enjoying them straight off the tree or with dinner. I love going out to water the garden and eating a few cherries. They taste great, but unfortunately we had a lot of problems with fungus and worms. This is a problem every year, but our landlord said it was worse this year than usual. It seemed like most of the cherries that got fully ripe were no longer good. I ended up picking a number that were not quite ripe yet in order to save more of the fruit. We still got plenty of cherries and enjoyed them a lot, but it was sad to see so many of them go to waste. The season was short too; I picked the last good ones today and they only started getting ripe about a week and a half ago.
This is one of two buckets that I picked last weekend.
The cherry picker we got was a trooper; we had a mountain of cherries to work through and it made things go much more quickly, and really just made the task possible. Here's what we ended up doing with all the ones we didn't eat right away:
Cherry Shortcake
Lemon Chocolate Cherry Muffins
Brandied Cherries
1 gallon of cherry juice for wine




No comments:
Post a Comment