Monday, November 9, 2015

Winter Squash

 I discovered a bin full of winter squash at a good price at the grocery store on Thursday and got a couple. Then, since it was close by and really was a good deal, I jogged over Friday morning and bought some more. Almost 23 lbs more, which I then had to carry all the way back home. Totally worth it. Once I made it back, I baked most of them and had a squash sampling. Most of the squash were varieties I hadn't ever tried before and it was fun to taste them and pick my favorites. Then I pureed them to make squash puree to use in place of pumpkin in all kinds of recipes. After working through most of that batch, I went back one more time to get more of my favorites.
























Not only are they good to eat, but they make great decorations until then. The above is one of my favorites, a sweet dumpling, with the two little pumpkins that grew on our vine. We had to harvest them before they were ripe, but they ended up turning orange after we picked them.

No comments: