Thursday, August 25, 2016

Garden Update 8-25

I harvested most of our beets on Sunday and made a small batch of pickled beets. I decided to try a different spice blend this time, so we are looking forward to tasting them. I love how pretty they look.

Both garden beds have been enjoying the sunshine lately. You can see the rhubarb in the back is really getting large. The kale in this bed has been a real winner too, I'm surprised how well it continues to grow even though it has been warm lately.


Things are getting pretty wild in the larger bed, but we have been taking out the plants that are done producing, so things still mostly have room to grow.


We have finally started harvesting tomatoes and enjoying eating them. The first time we had fresh salsa was a particularly delicious treat.



So far we have been able to keep up with what the tomato plants are producing by eating them fresh. However, since we planted eight tomato plants and had this cherry tomato come up as a volunteer, we won't be able to keep up long.


Our cucumber plant decided to grow up the tomato cage on one side and through the row of yellow beans on the other side and is now growing out into the grass. It has started producing some delicious cucumbers.


The newest addition to the yard, our shade loving scarlet begonias, are doing well also.


1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh yum! How lovely.