Sunday, August 13, 2017

Buried Treasure


I found buried treasure in my yard.


This was the first year that we've tried growing potatoes, so it was pretty exciting to dig some up yesterday. I felt like I was digging for dinosaur bones.


Since I had the camera out to take pictures of the potatoes, I decided to take a few of the rest of the garden too. We have lots of beans coming up right now because I keep planting more as I take out other things that are done producing.


























This volunteer vine came up by the compost pile and is quite happy back there. I'm not sure yet what it is, maybe pumpkin. It has lots of flowers, but hasn't set fruit. 


Our pole beans are doing great and looking pretty. I made two tepees for them to grow up and they connected at the top to make a little arbor over the German Green tomato.



We have lots of green tomatoes, but none that are ripe yet. The basil is also doing well.



Here's the result of the potato harvest. I dug half of my plants, so I was hoping for a little bit bigger harvest, but four of the plants were the smallest of the ten, so I'm hoping the second harvest will be a little better. It was still a lot of fun to dig them up though.


We had some of our freshly harvested blue potatoes with dinner last night and they were delicious, as were the hamburgers we made with freshly ground meat.

No comments: