Sunday, June 15, 2025

The Great Curtain Project


We've been needing new curtains around camp for a number of years. Tiffany decided that we should get it done this year and sew them during the Memorial day work weekend. The project started with Mountain View, but quickly included Westview and the Ranch House. Then we added Eastview because they were working on opening that area up for the summer after a number of years. Finally we threw in the health center too. She asked if I could estimate how much fabric we would need if she got me the window dimensions, and I said I would give it my best shot. It was a lot of numbers and a huge fabric order, so we were excited to get it on sale. A few days later, six boxes of fabric arrived, and I started cutting curtains at the beginning of April.


It was rather satisfying to cut whole bolts of fabric in a sitting, but with a 123 windows it was a big project and I was glad I was able to complete it in time for the work weekend.


I tried to keep everything well organized and led the sewing group during the weekend.


The kids and I split our time the first day between the sewing group and raking in Sherwood.


 By that afternoon, it was clear that sewing was going to take much longer than raking, so on Sunday I took my sewing machine down and joined in. We got a lot sewn, but there were still a number of curtains left. Thankfully, a few of our volunteers took curtains home with them and finished sewing them there. 


As the finished curtains returned to camp, the kids and I kept track of everything and started hanging them in the cabins. In spite of the curtain rods getting delayed multiple times, a few incorrectly sewn curtains, a couple incorrect measurements, and a few forgotten windows, we were mostly able to stay ahead of arriving campers.

No comments: