Thursday, August 2, 2012

Gooseberry Jelly; a Tribute
























With our last day at camp quickly approaching, things have been a bit crazy in our room with all the packing going on. I somewhat took a break this morning to make gooseberry jelly.




























I had picked gooseberries a couple times in the past two days and had just over six pounds of berries and sore fingers to show for my efforts.


I mashed the gooseberries and let them simmer with a cup and a half of water, then strained out the juice and made jelly. I felt like this was a bit of closure for me. This has been quite the year; working year round at camp and living in the snow, dating, being engaged to, and finally marrying the most wonderful man in the world, planning a wedding, preparing for a new niece, being married to the program director during the craziness of summer; there has been a lot going on. Through it all, we have enjoyed the beauty of living in the mountains, as well as the many things 

that grow here. We had many picking adventures and spent many hours cooking, canning, and fermenting. Here are some of the things we made:




 Of course, this isn't goodbye to camp forever; I'm sure we will come here often. But it is the end of a season, and it has been a good one.

I only somewhat took a break to make the jelly because I was packing food and cleaning the kitchen while I worked with the gooseberries.

The moon is full and beautiful right now. And in the picture below, the moon looks like the sun. I may have been having fun playing with long exposure times.

2 comments:

Jonah said...

Great moon pictures!

Heather said...

Good post.