Thursday, November 29, 2012

Visalia Thanksgiving

We started Thanksgiving day off running the Race Against Hunger 5K in downtown Visalia. Heather, Jonah, Michelle, Joshua, and I were part of the run while the rest of the family participated in the walk. It was fun to have everyone out there together.



The runners after the race.


The walkers after finishing.
And the whole group together; we are now an even dozen, six boys and six girls!



Our first 5K together.

After showering and eating breakfast for a second time (the first one was more of a pre-race snack), we spent a little time organizing and I baked an apple pie. It was quite an adventure because we didn't have very much of our kitchen stuff there yet, so I was missing things like the liquid measuring cup and measuring spoons. The pie had wheat flour in the topping and freshly ground salt and nutmeg because that's what we had. Thankfully, I had decided to use a store bought crust so I didn't have any crust challenges. I finally got the pie put together and in the oven. Almost as soon as the oven got hot, the smoke detector started going off and Joshua had to unplug it. Then the oven cooked very hot and the pie started to burn on top before it had baked half the time called for. I quickly pulled it out saying I needed foil, which of course we didn't have. Thankfully, there was some left in the van from our trip, so we hurried out there and grabbed it so I could finish baking the pie. In the end, it was delicious.


After the baking adventure, we headed out to Dad and Mom's house where we loaded up the trailer and van with more of our stuff, then helped prepare Thanksgiving dinner. We had special guests this year, Garrett and  his friend, Nathan, joined us from southern California. It was quite the feast.

No comments: