We tried two new recipes tonight; Honey Lime Chicken and Makeover Spinach Salad Dressing, both from my most recent edition of Taste of Home.
Honey Lime Chicken (Serves 4)
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup honey
2 T lime juice
1/4 t ground ginger
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
Hot cooked couscous, optional
1. Place chicken in a large resealable bag. In a small bowl, whisk wine, honey, lime juice, and ginger; add to chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 2 hour, turning once.
2. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Place chicken on grill rack and grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer read 165. If desired, serve with couscous.
You'll notice that the recipe says to discard the marinade when you take the chicken out, but I thought if I had a great mixture of wine, honey, and lime juice (I didn't notice I was supposed to put the ginger in during step one, so I sprinkled that on the chicken with the other spices before cooking) I should make a glaze. So I did, I added a little flour dissolved in water to the marinade and reduced it in the pan after I cooked the chicken. Which brings me to the second way I intentionally didn't follow the recipe; we aren't allowed to BBQ at our apartment, so I cooked the chicken like we cook most things, in our cast iron skillet. That worked quite well. The chicken was good, although nothing spectacular, but I was glad I had made the glaze. We had ours with couscous and it was nice to have extra sauce and flavor.
Makeover Spinach Salad Dressing (Makes 10 Servings)
1/2 cup sugar
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 T water
2 T canola oil
4 t prepared mustard
1 t salt
1/2 t coarsely ground pepper
Fresh spinach leaves
Combine the first nine ingredients in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Serve over fresh spinach. Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator.
How do you know how big a small onion is? I got one that was smaller than the others at the grocery store and then used part of it in the stir fry last night and it still seemed like a lot so I didn't put all of it in the dressing. Even so, the onion taste was pretty strong and almost too much for me. Joshua thought the mustard taste was too strong. Needless to say, this wasn't a big hit, but I would probably like it with half or a quarter of the amount of onion.
1/2 cup sugar
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 T water
2 T canola oil
4 t prepared mustard
1 t salt
1/2 t coarsely ground pepper
Fresh spinach leaves
Combine the first nine ingredients in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Serve over fresh spinach. Store leftover dressing in the refrigerator.
How do you know how big a small onion is? I got one that was smaller than the others at the grocery store and then used part of it in the stir fry last night and it still seemed like a lot so I didn't put all of it in the dressing. Even so, the onion taste was pretty strong and almost too much for me. Joshua thought the mustard taste was too strong. Needless to say, this wasn't a big hit, but I would probably like it with half or a quarter of the amount of onion.

No comments:
Post a Comment