I hate to see good fruit go to waste, especially if it's free. Joshua and I had been occasionally picking grapefruit from my parent's tree for awhile, but no one else had been eating it and it needed to get picked. So last Sunday we picked everything could that was left on the tree. It ended up being a good amount of fruit.
I washed most of it Friday afternoon, leaving just the grapefruit in the paper bag to use fresh. As you can see from all the blotches on the fruit, a lot of it was pretty damaged by frost, but it still makes great juice. Yesterday, I worked through the grapefruit I had washed. I was planning to try canning it, but because of the frost damage I ended up with a lot more juice than fruit. So, I filled 8 pints with juice and put those in the freezer, then processed 4 pints of fruit following these directions and using grapefruit juice as my canning liquid.
One of the pints didn't end up sealing, so we had some with breakfast this morning. I was nervous that it wouldn't be very good because cooking grapefruit seems like such a bad idea, but it turned out just fine.



1 comment:
Wow, that looks like a lot of work. The canned grapefruit is pretty, though!
Post a Comment