Friday, September 12, 2014

First Day of Work


I started work today at a local bakery. They have freshly baked yeast breads, all kinds of pastries and goodies, cookies, dinner items to go, and they serve breakfast and lunch. My position is part time bakery prep. I'm not sure what exactly that is going to look like, but mixing up cookie dough, making frosting and fillings, and baking a second round of goodies if they sell out quickly are some of my responsibilities. Today I got a tour of the kitchen, which is actually pretty big. Besides Calvin Crest, it is the largest kitchen I have worked in and has the most staff. I toasted nuts and coconut, mixed up and portioned two big batches of cookie dough, and made lemon curd today. They have two large stand mixers; one of them is the biggest one I have ever seen -- it's a monster. Overall, things went well and I think it will be a good place to work. Plus, I'm happy to have found a job quickly, and one that involves baking and is so close to us.

No comments: