Dave, Joy, and I combined our love of canning to pickle cucumbers and green beans Wednesday afternoon.
I had brought dill from our garden and we used that for about half of the pickles; we also had serrano peppers that Dave grew.
I was responsible for filling jars. We put the spices and dill in the bottom, then packed in cucumbers, peppers, and garlic. Then we poured hot brine in, put the lids on, and processed the jars in a water bath.
We had two canners going, one on the stove and one on the barbecue burner, so we were able to process fourteen jars at one time.
After the pickles were done, we started green beans. The method for those was the same: fill the jars with beans, peppers, garlic, dill, and celery, pour in the hot brine, put the lids on, and process.
We had a lot of cucumbers and green beans, but with all of us together the project went pretty quickly.
We ended up with 27 quarts of pickles and 14 pints of pickled green beans.








No comments:
Post a Comment