At the beginning of September, Joshua and I were able to spend a few days over at the coast with Dave, Gayle, and Grandad. As usual, this meant enjoying time with family, lots of good food (including brownies and ice cream with freshly picked blackberries), and relaxing.
This time it also meant a canning project! Grandad and I canned tuna together, which was a fun project.
He packed the first batch of jars to show me how it's done, then I got to try the second round. It was pretty simple; you just fill the jars with tuna, add a little water and salt, wipe the rim, then put the lid on and they are ready to go.
We used two pressure canners to get all the jars processed at once. I had never used a pressure canner before so that was interesting, particularly when the pressure gauge shot out of the one on the right. That startled me quite a bit, but nothing was hurt and we got it all fixed up and going again quickly. The tuna had to process for ninety minutes and while we had heat on the canners we sat outside to keep an eye on them. That was one of the best parts; relaxing and chatting with cold beverages.







No comments:
Post a Comment