The green tomatoes that Gayle and I harvested from the garden when we removed the plants are ripening; all of the above were green when we picked them.
My friend, Aubrianne, and her son, Amos, came over to help me put them to good use by making salsa. She cut the tomatoes while I got the rest of the ingredients ready. Amos kept us entertained and was adorable, as usual. When we put everything together, it was so nice to have it all prepped. I forget how much more smoothly canning tends to go with two people.
Later in the day I decided to finish up my summer canning. I had apples in the freezer that were peeled, cut, and ready to become applesauce, as well as tomatoes that were prepped and portioned to make cocktail sauce. So I got those things going mid-afternoon and then, after being inspired by my canning book and a quick trip to the grocery store, I decided to also make a green tomato salsa verde. That was probably all a bit ambitious for one afternoon/evening, especially after getting up early that morning and wanting to go to bed early because I had to be at work at five the next morning, but Joshua was presenting a paper at a conference over Friday/Saturday, so I had to do something to keep myself occupied.
Anyway, I ended up finishing just after nine, which was later than I would have liked, but not too bad. And the results were quite satisfying.




No comments:
Post a Comment