Saturday, February 1, 2014

Response to Patricia

In a recent comment, Patricia asks:
Would you like to share your journey to Christ with the community?
I replied:
I hope that is what I am doing when I make these posts: sharing my journey to Christ with those who read the blog.
This was not quite what she meant; she specifies accordingly:
Let's say, the story of the few months leading up to when you went from sinner to saint...and that moment of time of capitulation into Jesus' saving arms.
I decided that the response deserves its own post.

What I like about the question is that it emphasizes (1) the importance of moving from sinner to saint, (2) the importance of "capitulating into Jesus' saving arms" (a nice way of phrasing it), and (3) the fact that such conversion is the result of a process that can often take months (or even longer).

What I do not like about the question is the definite article: "the" (and its counterpart, "that moment"). I cannot count the number of times that I have experienced a movement from sinner to saint in my life, nor can I count the number of times I have experienced moments of capitulation into Jesus' saving arms. Were I to count them, the number would nevertheless be incorrect, for I intend to experience many more of each.

Fundamentally, the call to conversion is continual, and the act of conversion is likewise. Until we attain the beatific vision, we are saints in expectation and in hope, who discover continual need for further movement into sanctity.

Of course, some conversions have been more dramatic than others (some exalted, some desperate, etc.) I often wonder, though, if many of the conversions that seem less important to me would be in truth much more pivotal than the dramatic ones if seen from a God's-eye view.

Thus, I think my initial response to Patricia's question was the most appropriate. "Sharing my journey to Christ" is precisely what I am doing by making these blog posts, and I hope they are in some way part of a process in which those who read them move from sinners to saints.

No comments: