Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Working the Line
It has been three days since I began my new position at work and things have been going well. I wasn't excited about being in training again after feeling settled into bread baking, but I'm hitting my groove much faster with this. It helps that I'm already familiar with the place and the people and the schedule. Yesterday was a bit of trial by fire because James had jury duty and had to leave at 12:50pm. So he was there for our first rush, but not our second and it was just me and Fiore making lunches, with some help from Rosa when we ran out of turkey and tomatoes. I was making one of the specials, house made pasta with sauted shrimp in a light cream sauce, as well as sandwiches and menu items. We are working on simplifying our menu, but right now there are a lot of options. That was a bit scary, but exciting. My summers in the kitchen at camp came back as I slipped right into the roll of prioritizing, balancing a number of things at once, and being efficient. I enjoy the fast pace of kitchens, as long as it isn't constant or because you weren't prepared.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so proud of you Sarah, I wish I could have seen you!
Ah, yes, I remember those days well. I love the restaurant kitchen for the reasons you stated and others.
There were many transferable skills I learned there that have served me well over the years.
Go girl!
Patricia
Post a Comment