Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fountains Abbey & York Minster

We took a side trip Fountains Abbey this morning. It is about an hour away from York. Ashley bought a kite at the gift shop and she, Juan, and Jen tried to fly it in the courtyard. They got it in the air, but not for long. Fountains Abbey is an abbey in ruins and it was incredible. There was grass and a stream and birds and we got to wander all over and explore. This was part of the nave, there was a feeling there I can't put into words, but it was awe inspiring. Courtney, Teresa, Kim, me and Laura in one of the open rooms. It was a beautiful sunny day, warm enough that I even had to take my sweater off at the end and just have short sleeves! I didn't even listen to my audio guide, I just wandered around and let myself get lost in the moment. I didn't stay with a group, I wanted to alone and take pictures. It had a sacred feel; there is something about ruins , I think more about the history and the people who lived there, I guess it looks older if it is already being reclaimed by the earth. But it was beautiful and huge. It was soothing to my soul. There were some ponds and lakes and stuff too and I went over there but didn't have much time left. Some of it was cool, but I didn't regret spending most of my time at the abbey, I loved it. I think it gave me the boost I need to make it through the last two weeks in the city. When we got back to York, Laura and I went out to get lunch and ended up eating at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. It was a good deal and good food. They had skinny noodle chow mien and it was the best chow mien I have had in awhile, including a lot of places in America with their gross thick noodles. We had our tour of York Minster at 3:30pm and that was cool. We got to climb the tower, all 275 steps of a narrow spiral staircase that got smaller as it went up. Looking down, looking up. There was a walkway along part of the roof about half way up and we got a cool view from there, among the buttresses and carvings. From the top we got a good view of the city. The top was caged off with metal mesh, so we could only get clear pictures through little viewing rectangles. That was a bummer but it was still cool. Next we went down beneath the church and saw layers of Roman, Viking, Anglo Saxon, and Norman history. Then we went into the rest of the church. It was pretty, but nothing super special. Darrin said it reminded him of Notre Dame and I agree; really ornate on the outside, pretty typical on the inside. Then I went with Kim, Ashley, and Alicia to Dorothy Perkins and H&M, where I got a new top. Then we walked back to the lodge and I enjoyed a quiet evening by myself while Laura was out and about.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I loved reading about Fountains Abbey and seeing all the pictures, it sounds amazing. I don't know about that staircase though, I think that would have freaked me out a bit!

Michelle Chandler-Trevino said...

Yes I definately agree with Heather about the staircase!! You got some really good pictures!