Saturday, July 20, 2013

Blueberry Chicken


We had Blueberry Chicken for dinner last night, our fourteenth recipe. I found this in one of my Taste of Home magazines from last summer. 

Blueberry-Dijon Chicken

4 6-oz boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 T butter
1/2 cup blueberry preserves
1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
3 T Dijon mustard

Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170. Remove and keep warm. Combine blueberry preserves, raspberry vinegar, blueberries, and Dijon mustard in skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with minced basil if desired.

You probably will not be surprised to hear that I made a few substitutions when I made this recipe. First of all, I sauteed the chicken in olive oil instead of butter. I also used blueberry mango jam, red wine vinegar, and regular yellow mustard. This was a simple recipe and I was happy with how the sauce thickened up. We both thought it tasted good too. And I was excited about the opportunity to use some home grown basil.

No comments: