Sunday, July 21, 2013

Summer Dinner


 Recipes fifteen and sixteen were Summer Italian Marinade and Backyard Red Potato Salad. Both were delicious. I marinaded the chicken overnight and it had great flavor. The red potato salad was great too. I found the recipe in an old edition of Taste of Home. It has a vinegar based dressing instead of a mayonnaise based one, so it was different from a typical potato salad, but was so good.
Backyard Red Potato Salad

2 1/2 lbs small red potatoes
1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 in slices
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1 t salt, divided
1/2 t pepper, divided
3 T balsamic vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1 T Dijon mustard
2 t sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh tarragon

Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain; cool slightly. Cut each in half. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper; toss to coat. Arrange cut sides down on a grilling grid; place on a grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned; turning occasionally. Chop onion. Place onion and potatoes in a bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, garlic, and remaining oil, salt, and pepper. Add to potato mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with tarragon. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.

I made this under the broiler instead of on the barbecue and used regular mustard instead of Dijon. I also left out the tarragon since I didn't have any.

No comments: