I went up to camp yesterday with Trevinos and Nickells to join in the annual apple picking and cider making celebration with the Gists and Starbucks (Joshua had to work). It was a beautiful sunny day in the mountains and after lunch we kicked things off with an opening ceremony. Jonah picked the first apple and Joel gave a little talk explaining the significance and then...
...smashed the apple to bits! Pieces flew everywhere and a number of us got splattered. Then we began picking apples. We started with the apple trees in the yard, then headed over to the playground where there were three trees that were completely covered in apples.
It was perfect timing for seeing the fall colors.
We ended up with a lot of apples and hauled with them to the basement of the barn to put them through the cider mill.
First, we washed them in the tub. Then it was time to grind and press the apples and collect the juice.
For all of our labor, we were rewarded with about 15 gallons of cider. And we still had some apples left! Heather and I had gone back out and picked a few more, so we got to add the leftovers to that and we each ended up with 5 grocery bags of apples to take home.
We had planned a potluck for dinner and we were all thankful when we got to dig in because we worked up quite an appetite. Of course, we had freshly pressed apple cider with dinner and apple crisp for dessert.














2 comments:
Whoa, I didn't know about the opening ceremony! I'm bummed I missed that part.
Glad you could come! Like you said, it's great to pick fruit with someone as obsessed as I am :-)
Post a Comment