We left York at 10:00 this morning. After about an hour, we came to Castle Howard.

There was an entrance in a stonewall that we had to drive through and it was so tight. Tony had to take the mirrors down and we just squeezed through with maybe 6 inches of clearance on either side of the coach. It was crazy. The castle was interesting, it was more of a palace or ornate and large house than a castle as I tend to think of them.

This is a portrait of the current Howard living in the castle. The most interesting part in my opinion is that the Howard family still lives there and they have family snapshots around in frames on the side tables, Jen and Juan even saw one of the children.

They have their own area of the house that is not included in the tour, but some of the areas we saw they still use occasionally, like on Christmas.

This was the servants' hall, they would wait here until they heard everyone leave the state rooms, then they would run in and straighten everything before the guests returned. We didn't have much time to see the gardens after touring the house, but there was a cool fountain and tons of daffodils near the building.

Daffodils are common here, sometimes they just grow by the road or there will be fields of them in parks and gardens. The rest of our drive back to London was long, I read a lot of
Brick Lane, our last novel for our literature class. We got back about 6pm and crashed, glad to have made it back.
2 comments:
I look preggo in that last picture. I dunno why I thought bending my back like that was going to be cool lol.
Wow fields of daffodils!?
Post a Comment