Sunday, July 28, 2013

Orange Chicken

We tried a recipe to tonight that was given to us as part of a wedding gift from a fellow staffer and housemate during our time at camp last year, Katie. Recipe eighteen was Orange Chicken and, not surprisingly if you know the source, it was delicious. The original recipe called for deep frying the chicken, but I didn't want to do that with it being hot right now, so I just sauteed it with a little salt and pepper. So good!


Here's the recipe as I made it tonight:

Orange Chicken

~2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast

1 T oil
2 t ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
dash crushed red pepper flakes
1 T rice wine vinegar

*Orange Sauce*
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 T water
5 T sugar
5 T white vinegar

1/4 cup water
1 T cornstarch

Cut chicken into chunks. Heat oil in large pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; saute in oil. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm. Heat 1 T oil in large pan. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir-fry crushed red pepper. Add rice wine vinegar; stir 3 seconds. Add orange sauce; bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed. Stir water into cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thickened.

2 comments:

Heather said...

So there is no orange in the orange sauce?

Sarah said...

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that too, but it is orange in color.