Saturday, November 2, 2013

Cranberry Coffee Cake


Our twentieth recipe was Cranberry Coffee Cake. This is not a completely new recipe to me because it is my mom's coffee cake recipe and I'm sure I've made it at some point in my life, although I don't remember doing so and didn't have the recipe in my box. But, I tweaked it a bit and added cranberries. Here is the recipe as I made it today.


Cranberry Coffee Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cranberries, chopped

Crumb Topping
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 T flour
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t cloves
1/8 t nutmeg
1 T melted butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup oatmeal

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Combine oil, egg, and milk; mix with dry ingredients. Fold in chopped cranberries. Pour into a greased 9 in cake pan. Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, butter, chopped nuts, and oatmeal for crumb topping; sprinkle on top of cake batter. Bake at 375 for 17-25 minutes.


I had to bake mine for longer than 25 minutes; it was probably closer to 30-35. I don't know if that was because I added cranberries or what, but just a warning that it might take longer to bake, which could make you late to your niece's soccer game. That said, this was delicious. I thought the cranberries added a fun seasonal touch.

No comments: