Saturday, November 16, 2013

German Apple Cake

Gayle and I made recipe twenty-five for dessert last night, German Apple Cake. We got the recipe out of a super cool book that has recipes for every week of the year based on what is in season and available at farmer's markets around where the author lives. As you might imagine, I spent a good amount of time looking through the book when we weren't baking the cake.


German Apple Cake

2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 t vanilla
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
5 cups apples, peeled and cored, finely sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing pan; set aside. Combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until well blended. Add dry ingredients, mixing until well blended. Fold in walnuts and apples. Spoon into buttered 9x13 pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick to be sure apples are cooked. Serve with ice cream and/or whipping cream.


I'm not much of a cake person, but this was quite tasty. It was warm, moist, and appley and was great with vanilla bean ice cream.


We also made kiwi jam today. It was probably the easiest batch of jam I have ever made, we just cut the kiwis in half and scooped out and mashed the fruit. But then we started canning it. I filled one of the jars too full and while Gayle was wiping off the jam on the outside of the jar, it ended up on the floor. Hot sticky jam went everywhere. Thankfully, the jar didn't break and neither of us got burned by hot jam, but it was quite the mess. While I finished filling the jars, Gayle cleaned up the spilled jam. Even after wiping the floor multiple times, we are still finding sticky spots. Oh dear. We were laughing so hard that Joshua came to look in the window from outside and make sure we were alright. We ended up with eight half pints; I love how pretty the kiwi jam looks in the jars.

No comments: