We had our first museum field trip for our art tours class today. I was excited, but ended up being disappointed. Our teacher didn't really give us much information before we went, she basically just showed us slides of some of the stuff we would see, then told us she wanted us to look at the Egyptian section and the Parthenon exhibit and find something on our own that we

liked. We didn't go as a group, so everyone was on their own to go and find the things. Most people headed over after school, so we were hungry already and didn't want to stay long. I was there longer than the group I went with, but even so it was only about 45 minutes to an hour. That said, the British Museum is amazing, our teacher said they have around 7 acres, so it is huge. The Egyptian stuff was interesting and they had a number of mummies, papyrus scrolls, and other artifacts. There were some little ceramic and bronze figures that were brightly colored and interesting.

We also found a little section that talked about California, which was exciting.

This two headed snake is from the Mexican exhibit, it is a turquoise mosaic. It was pretty crazy.

This was a really interesting exhibit, it was called, "Enlightenment: Discovering the World in the Eighteenth Century". The gallery was set up like a library with walls of old books, and it smelled like old books too. Then they had sculptures from various times that they were exploring in the Eighteenth century and cases with items from the Eighteenth century. It had a really cool feel to it, like you were going back in time.

We got to see the Rosetta Stone, it was bigger than I thought it would be and was cool to see something that is so important to our understanding of Ancient Egypt.

This was my favorite part of the day, it is a Lykian tomb called the Nereid Monument, but they had it all put together and it was amazing to see it that way.

It reinforces the contact ancient cultures had, it is heavily influenced by the Greeks, indeed I thought it was a Greek temple until I read the plaque. I had to sit down when I first walked into the room.

The exhibit from the Parthenon was also interesting, I did not realize how much they had there, but it was a huge room with frieze on both sides. They also had sculpture from the east and west pediments, this picture is of the east pediment. I can't image what it would be like to see the whole temple put together, it must have been impressive indeed.

That's just a brief glimpse of the riches of the British Museum, I'm defiantly planning to go back soon with Rick Steves.
2 comments:
Just imagine if you had Mrs. Sullivan with you!!
No kidding! Sullivan would be the ultimate tour-guide there! Well, do your best. It sounds like you saw some pretty amazing things in just an hour already.
Post a Comment