Friday, January 16, 2009

The Tower of London


We took a class field trip to the Tower of London today. It was interesting. The weather was overcast today, which added to the mood. For our class, we were broken into groups to research different parts of the tower and present a short presentation about it. My group's section was the Tower Green, which sounds pretty innocent, but it is the site of the scaffold, so it was actually pretty bloody. We had a little introduction, then acted out the execution of Margaret Pole, who refused to put her head on the block so the executioner chased her around and it took 11 blows to kill her. Then I gave my fun facts part of the presentation: After cutting off the head of the victim, the executioner would hold up the head to the crowd so the victim could see their body and the people who came to their execution because a person lives after being beheaded for about 8 seconds until lack of oxygen causes unconsciousness. They would display the heads on steaks on the Tower Bridge and bury the headless bodies at the Tower Green, under our feet. We got to see the changing of the guard because we happened to be there at the right time, that was fun. We had the rest of the presentations, then we split up and got to wander around as much as we wanted to. There were a number of people who actually lived in the tower and had nice accommodations. One of our teachers, Shane Moreman, and Juan trying on the soldiers' helmets. Overall, I thought it was interesting to be there and learn more about the place, but I wasn't impressed with the inside of the buildings. The stairs were the part that seemed the most authentic, they were narrow and dark in most places. Most of the rest of the buildings were like museums inside, which took away from the effect of the place. The ravens are one of the most famous parts of the Tower, the legend is that if the ravens leave, the kingdom and fortress would fall. So they always have at least 6 ravens there, if one for backup. A chapel inside the Tower. The scaffold where they cut off peoples' heads. Tower Bridge. The outside of the Tower of London.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa dude! That's some crazy stuff. I'm subbing today and I think I'll tell my students later if they seem bored!

Michelle Chandler-Trevino said...

Hey Jaime!! "whoa dude" was how I was goin to start my comment! oh well. That all looks really cool and like a movie!