Friday, January 9, 2009

Arrival in London

Our flight to London was long and I wasn't able to sleep, which means I have been up since Thursday morning and it is Friday afternoon here now. Surprisingly, I'm not all that tired, but I'm very much looking forward to going to bed tonight. We arrived at the Heathrow airport at 6:30am London time and it was only 30 degrees out. It is cold here, but it is nice now because the sun ended up coming out today so it is pretty. We all made it through customs and no one lost their luggage, so that is good. We also got our passports stamped, which was especially exciting because we had been told they don't do that anymore and you have to ask to get a stamp. Our two teachers meet us at the airport and we took a bus to our flats. The bus driver has been working with the London Semester program for awhile, his name is Tony. The drive to our flats was about an hour. It was fun to get our first views of London. The flats are pretty nice; we have a kitchen, living room, dining room table, washer/dryer combo, three bedrooms and two bathrooms. I share a room with two other girls and we have a bathroom connected to our room, which is nice. These are views from our bedroom windows. We had a tour of the neighborhood to get oriented and got some lunch and groceries. It was hard to shop for groceries because the store was really small and didn't have much selection, so I didn't know what to get. We have a meeting with our flat manager in an hour, then the goal is to stay up until a reasonable bedtime.

2 comments:

Michelle Chandler-Trevino said...

what's the inside of your flat look like? Do you have a closet??

Heather said...

Yeah, how's the bathroom? Tell us the important stuff! Oh, you're probably busy sleeping right now, okay, we'll be patient.