I love fudge. One of my goals is to find a perfect fudge recipe that is consistent, soft and creamy, richly chocolate, and all around delicious. Having said that, it might be surprising that I haven't actually made fudge more than a handful of times, all of which were a number of years ago. So, I thought I'd try one that was in my recent edition of Taste of Home. This was recipe number thirty.
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed
2 pkg (11 1/2 oz each) milk chocolate chips
4 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 oz white baking chocolate, melted
Line a 13x9-in pan with foil; coat with cooking spray. In a heavy Dutch oven, combine sugar, milk, and butter. Bring to a rapid boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips, marshmallows, and chopped chocolate until melted. Fold in walnuts and vanilla. Immediately spread into prepared pan. Drizzle with melted white baking chocolate; cool completely. Using foil, lift fudge out of pan. Remove foil; cut fudge into 96 squares. Store between layers of waxed paper in airtight containers.
There were two things I changed when I made this, I didn't add walnuts or drizzle the fudge with white chocolate. This was easy to make, although it took awhile to bring the milk mixture to a boil. It started to set almost as soon as I poured it into the 9x13 pan so I couldn't get the top very smooth. I don't know if that is typical or not; it seemed like it took a long time to melt the chocolate chips, so I don't know if that was part of the problem. That doesn't really matter though because it tastes great and is super creamy. The texture is so soft and smooth and it tastes like a classic fudge should taste. I think it could be a little more chocolately, maybe next time I will try using one bag of milk chocolate and one bag of semisweet chocolate chips, but it was still delicious. I am quite pleased with how this recipe turned out, but I'm still planning to try more! Do any of you have a favorite fudge recipe you would like to share?

1 comment:
Sounds yummy! You should ask Dennette for her recipe.
Post a Comment